Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Is Society Too Fast Pace?


Our fast pace society in America has many benefits for our country in the sense we get everything right away, but this fast pace world also has many negative effects that I have been noticing more and more lately. The fact that we as society are so used to getting what we want when we want it we act like selfish children when things don’t go our way. In this fast pace world we all love getting where we are going on time and fast. We all get upset with delays while traveling, which is very common for public transportation, but while I was on an Amtrak train this weekend I saw people’s selfishness at its peak. This is my experience on the train this weekend, the train arrived early, meaning 2 minutes, but for Amtrak this is very impressive since the trains usually are late. So we all got boarded the train and settled into our seats. The first stop after I got on comes along and the girl who was sitting next to me had her bag accidentally hanging out in the isle. As this stop is boarding, a passenger walks toward us and rudely says “Move your shit before I run over it” as he continued walking instead of waiting for her to move her bag. Everyone around us stated how rude he was and how they couldn’t believe someone would be so impatient. Right before our stop in Pontiac our train stopped and one of the train crew members announced that we had hit something and they had to get off and check it out. Everyone on the train groaned and sighed angry at the fact we had to stop. About 45 minutes later the crew member came back on the intercom and confirmed we had indeed hit a person and we would be delayed another 30-45 minutes while we wait for the cops to do the paperwork and everything. As I sit in my seat I hear many passengers around complain loudly and rudely about how they are going to be getting home so late and they have to work in the morning and this is so inconvenient and oh my gosh I have things I have to do. I sit hear and wonder did they not hear what the crew member said? She said we hit a PERSON not an animal a person! Someone’s brother, father, son, or friend just died. That person will not just be late, but they will never arrive where they were trying to go. They will never make it home to see their family. Their families and friends will lose countless nights of sleep from crying over the fact that the person they love is now dead, hit by a train, and thank god they didn’t hear about how many of the passengers on the train were so self-centered that they didn’t care about that person’s life at all. At what point did this fast pace world make so many people so self-centered? The train ended up being 4 hours delayed, which I realize can be a bit irritating, because I’m definitely not saying that I am perfect I mean I am a product of the now generation, but I still have feelings for other people. Don’t let the fast pace world cause you to turn into a fast pace selfish person. So, next time something is an inconvenience to you please just remind yourself worse things are happening around you, and be thankful for what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment