In
response to “What America Owes Its ‘Illegals’” written by Barbara Ehrenreich in
her blog entry I strongly disagree with her statement that we should not fine
illegal immigrants for coming into our country illegally. She thinks we should
give them a bonus since they are the ones cleaning our offices and doing our
lawn work. In times like these where American unemployment rates are extremely
high I believe that Americans should not have to fight illegal immigrants for
these jobs. I agree the jobs that these aliens are receiving are “dirty work”
jobs, but paychecks are paychecks and for someone who has to support their
family they would take any job they could and if they lost a job opportunity to
someone who is here illegally earning money and sending it to foreign countries
I’m confident that they would be quite upset. Being a U.S. citizen is an honor
that I am proud to have; my ancestors had to deal with getting into this
country legally so they could provide better lives for my family. So if I was
losing out to a job that I should be considered for, because someone who is
here illegally will work for cheaper wages I would be irate and think that they
should be fined for taking the money I could have earned but now I have to collect
unemployment which is costing the government and tax payers unnecessary money.
A $5000 dollar fine would be to compensate the money the government lost handing
out unemployment for an unnecessary reason. She states in her blog entry that
she believes that “if someone breaks into her house and steals she would be
hell-bent on restitution. But if they break in for the purpose of cleaning it
then, in my way of thinking anyway, the debt goes in the other direction.” So
she obviously isn’t seeing that these illegal immigrants are breaking into our
country and stealing jobs. The ways she is seeing it is that illegal immigrants
are doing jobs that wouldn't get done if they were not here. Many Americans
work as nannies, construction workers, landscapers, and dish washers which are
the jobs she states wouldn’t get done. I’m confident that if America didn't have
illegal immigrants all of these jobs would still be filled and completed by the
Americans who cannot find work. I am all for immigrants coming to this country
to better their lives, but there are steps that are necessary to take to become
a legal citizen. After all America is a melting pot of culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment