Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Cycle of Welfare


The Cycle of Welfare

                I am all for helping people out, but I do have a problem with taking money from people who are working hard to earn money to support their family and giving it to someone who is just unwilling to work. Welfare is abused daily by many. Welfare should be meant for short time use to help people get back on their feet and support themselves and their families. Not to have people grown up on welfare and raised their children on welfare and their children will raise their children on welfare and it becoming a never ending chain costing tax payers millions. It becomes a problem when people see food stamps and other government aid as ‘free’ when in reality it is being paid by the tax payers and it is meant to be there for the people who cannot afford food and other necessities for their families. I was always told as a kid that a cell phone and the internet was a privilege not a necessity. So why are we paying for people who aren’t working for their own money and living off of tax payers dollars to have cell phones and internet? If I was a kid and I saw my parents doing nothing, but talking on the phone and sitting on Facebook earning ‘free’ money from the government I know I wouldn’t want to go to school and work 40 hours a week my whole life when I can do nothing and still get everything handed to me. Nobody is teaching these kids that abusing this system is morally wrong. We need to teach the upcoming generations that they have to work for what they want and not just sit around and have everything handed to them. I am not saying that public aid should be taken away from everyone I am just saying it should be made to be only a temporary program for people so they cannot live off of it their whole lives.

1 comment:

  1. I recently read that in (I think) four states the annual income of a welfare recipient is actually more than for a full time employee making minimum wage. When we are paying people more to do nothing than to work hard in a job paying minimum wage, what are we, as a society, advocating?

    ReplyDelete