Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Dealing with Emotions

Dealing with emotions is all up to ones preference. People deal with their emotions differently some people like to "vent" and share every negative aspect in their lives and some people, like me, would rather move forward and not dwell on the negativity. Some say avoiding your feelings is bad for your health, but I personally don't see how talking about all the bad things that you're going through or have gone through is good for you mental health. Why are people expected to share every painful detail about a negative experience that happened? Dwelling on the negative only brings out more negative and it begins to consume you're every thought. Dwelling on these experiences personally makes me have anxiety thinking about how horrible a situation like a tornado is and how I could've died, how I lost everything I ever owned, how everyone around me almost died, or how if something little would have been different it could've changed everything only makes me fear another storm constantly verses looking at the positives of the situation like we all got to safety, yes I lost all of my stuff but items are replaceable, yes I lost all my special items that  can't be replaced because they represented memories, but we are all here and I'd rather make new memories with them verses having items to remember them by, or the fact that everything happened the way it did for a reason God was looking out for me therefore I'm alive and blessed. These positives make me realize that negative things happen, but I made it out and now I have to move forward and come out stronger than before. If I just thought about all the things I experienced and lost I would be depressed and anxious 24/7. Even if it wasn't as traumatic as a tornado thinking about and talking about all the bad things in life will make you think your life is horrible, but when you think about all the things that are going great in your life and how blessed you are you see that life isn't all that bad. For some people talking out their feelings or reliving their experience is a way for them to get through it, but saying someone is harming their health by dealing with their emotions a certain way is absurd to me. Everyone is unique and different so it makes sense that everybody deals with their emotions differently, and everyone knows what makes them feel better and should embrace it not feel obligated to talk about it if they don't want to.
Do what makes you happy and feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment